[AusNOG] Optus wants Netflix to pay up to ensure quality video streaming

Nick Stallman nick at agentpoint.com
Mon Apr 20 13:47:40 EST 2015

Depends what Netflix wants more, lots of happy subscribers spreading
word of mouth or maximising profits.

I think initially they want to get everyone using Netflix and telling
everyone else about it and they'd be happy to make a loss to get market
share.

On 20/04/15 13:44, Joseph Goldman wrote:
> God this is a ridiculous argument - one I hoped wouldn't spill to AU
> market.
>
> Surely - Netflix can simply say to subscribers "we have plenty of
> bandwidth to serve you, there must be a problem with your ISP", then
> the ISP's call centers are overrun with problems. In US, many of the
> areas are monopolised to a single provider for decent speeds, meaning
> the user does have to put up with it or sacrifice their high speed
> connection - but in AU just about every connection to the home has
> multiple retail providers to choose from without sacrificing speed (on
> last mile technology at least) and this will become more so when NBNCo
> take over with multi-tech, meaning users can walk with their wallets
> to a service that actually delivers Netflix and other services,
> correct? I'd be happy to take a big influx of customers and guarantee
> no slow-downs to Netflix if Optus doesn't want them, to be honest.
>
> On 20/04/15 13:35, Matthew Muscat wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Looks like Netflix are going to (further) regret their unmetered
>> deals with Optus + iiNet.
>>
>> http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/optus-wants-netflix-to-pay-up-to-ensure-quality-video-streaming-20150420-1mooqg.html
>>
>> Regards,
>> Matthew

Nick Stallman
Agentpoint Pty Ltd
The Real Estate Web Developers
Melbourne | Sydney | Miami
nick at agentpoint.com
www.agentpoint.com.au | www.zooproperty.com | www.ginga.com.au |
www.business2.com.au

Business2.com.au is a real estate agent information website that helps
you understand Portals, Technology and comes with FREE tools to help
your Agency become an online success!