[AusNOG] Attempting to understand DC internet connectivity

Joseph Goldman joe at apcs.com.au
Tue Apr 14 14:12:47 EST 2015

If you look at BGP best path selection (on Cisco at least) Local Pref
has always come before BGP AS Path, and it would be silly for any
provider to not local pref downstream customers first. Your only other
choice on this front would be to have an external system monitoring your
primary path, and actively bringing up/destroying the BGP session with
your backup path when required, however I'd say this is more prone to error.