[AusNOG] IPv6

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Sat Apr 11 05:29:07 EST 2015

On 26 Mar 2015, at 12:13, Chris Hurley <chris at minopher.net.au> wrote:

> I could be wrong (and I have been before ;-), but the biggest mistake in IP6 was not making it backward compatible with IP4. Hence the resistance to take it up.

The address exhaustion is, in my opinion, just one of the motivations for the industry to move to IPv6.  There are real operational efficiencies that can be derived from having a more aggregated routing table.  Starting again with a /32 to /21 of v6 per ASN and little .. or less .. or no (my dream!!) deaggregation will really help us scale the internet to the needs of the next 40,000 ISPs and 5 billion users.

Andy