[AusNOG] IPv6

Chad Kelly chad at cpkws.com.au
Wed Apr 8 18:27:31 EST 2015

Message: 1 Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 09:46:34 +1100 From: Robert Hudson
<hudrob at gmail.com> To: Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> Cc:
ausnog at lists.ausnog.net Subject: Re: [AusNOG] IPv6 Message-ID:
<CAOu9xN+5J=oFeHu_PM_Aic3i69ry6vnp5WRHquJELQud4wn-mw at mail.gmail.com>
Noel has proven that his personal usage of IPv6 is small. I don't think
anyone can argue that. I know that although I see a lot of sites there
in Noel's list that are familiar, my IPv6 usage would be much higher in
terms of volume - my kids have managed to burn through a 150GB quota
several times, and they do it through a mix of YouTube and ABC iView
(iView isn't unmetered for me on IPv6). I also have a natively IPv6
connection (through Internode), though this is about to change as I
change ISPs, I will be seeking a tunnel provider if I can make it work
on my router. As a rule, I don't see any significant performance issues
(or significant benefits) when using IPv6 (I can easily enable and
disable it as I wish on my PCs, and I have a <10Mbps ADSL2 connection).
I do know that I absolutely need IPv6 for some services that I consume
at present (one of my corporate VPN solutions requires IPv6, and
although it will tunnel it over IPv4 if necessary, that has a
significant performance impact - it is the exception that proves the
rule I mentioned). I might try to set up some monitoring to check my
usage - as per Noel's individual results, my results won't be
statistically significant for the general population, but I will
hopefully be able to add another data point. The people who can give
useful stats are our ISPs and CSPs (IXs too perhaps?), who have
significant aggregate traffic stats they can view and interpret.
Regards, Robert On 31/03/2015 9:32 AM, "Noel Butler"