[AusNOG] Netflix Peering in AU

Mark Delany g2x at juliet.emu.st
Sun Apr 5 10:21:54 EST 2015

On 05Apr15, Ben Grubb allegedly wrote:

> If anything, people should be questioning why Netflix decided to have them
> removed. Not very transparent in my view... but I suspect it was because
> they didn't want to be associated with 'slowing down the internet'.
>
> Conversely, perhaps they didn't realise their traffic graphs were public.

Possibly, though Netflix are better than most about sharing knowledge
(http://techblog.netflix.com) and data
(http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com). They also make no bones about
serving up a lot of traffic to customers who expect to receive the
service they pay for as can be seen with their stance on net
neutrality (http://blog.netflix.com).

My experience is that they seem pretty well aligned with consumer
interests so I wouldn't be too quick to ascribe negative
intent... though keeping their competitors guessing seems well within
reason.

Mark.