[AusNOG] IPv6

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Wed Apr 1 12:39:23 EST 2015

but I don't do email like that
why is it hard to read?
it's really hard to read email this way.
because it's out of order
umm, ok.  I fixed it for you

From: Robert Hudson <hudrob at gmail.com>

FYI, if you disable IPv6 on any Microsoft OS, and you call them for support
on any of their products (not just the OS), one of the very first things
you'll be told is "enable IPv6, test again, and if it's still broken, call
us back".

Microsoft do no internal product testing without IPv6 enabled.  Windows has
had IPv6 enabled (by default) since Vista/Server 2008.

Certain functionality in AD (registration of service records in
AD-integrated DNS for instance) rely on IPv6 being enabled to work
correctly.  Just like ICMP, turning off IPv6 because you don't think you're
actively using it isn't the answer to securing it - correctly configuring
it is the answer.

That's up to the micro$loth admins and the stooped manager.  I don't
get to choose.  They see it as an unnecessary service.  That's it.

I'm sure this is not the only place like that.

scott