[AusNOG] DSL Line Stats

Shane Short shane at short.id.au
Tue Sep 30 23:51:04 EST 2014

That's... not strictly true.

SNR indicates the noise margin, but doesn't necessarily dictate if line
is "good" or not. What're you really interested in are CRC errors, or
Errored Seconds (ES). I've seen lines that have been able to run with a
solid SNR of 3dB with minimal CRCs and a resync once a month.

It's also worth noting that if you're on Open 2 (20/1) on Telstra
Wholesale, your default target SNR *is* 6dB, so assuming an SNR that low
means the line is fubar is a bit of a red herring.

Different profiles on different ISPs/DSLAMS will often set a target SNR
when they're initially syncing. From memory you can use the following
profiles on some ISPs to hit an SNR target:

- Telstra Wholesale Default - 6dB
- Telstra Wholesale "Stability Profile" 15dB
- iiNet Thrillseeker - 7dB
- iiNet Standard - 9dB
- iiNet Controlled - 15dB

To recap, a low SNR doesn't mean you're having issues, but having a high
one helps prevent them.

-Shane