[AusNOG] George Brandis - Be Warned

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Tue Sep 30 07:57:50 EST 2014

>________________________________
> From: Jake Anderson <yahoo at vapourforge.com>
>To: Mark Newton <newton at atdot.dotat.org>; Paul Wallace <paul.wallace at mtgi.com.au>
>Cc: "<ausnog at lists.ausnog.net>" <ausnog at lists.ausnog.net>
>Sent: Monday, 29 September 2014, 20:13
>Subject: Re: [AusNOG] George Brandis - Be Warned
>

>You had your democracy a year ago.

Your memory is either selective or short.

"Internet censorship plan gets the green light"
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/internet-censorship-plan-gets-the-green-light-20091215-ktzc.html

"Conroy will be censoring people, not the internet"

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/conroy-will-be-censoring-people-not-the-internet-20091217-kzxl.html#ixzz3EkAibY9v

"Tanya Plibersek: we would give spies more tools to fight domestic terror"
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/30/labor-spies-tools-terror-plibersek

With both major parties being FUD'd into supporting these ideas by LEAs, despite the evidence of the abuse of them by various overseas agencies, it being passed was inevitable. It was a lost battle, and it is only worth fighting battles that you have a chance of winning.

Now, to try to drag this back on topic. How many people here are actively trying to use encryption when they can? How many websites have you HTTPS/HSTS enabled?

>Now let our duly appointed tyrants do their job and stop moaning
      about it (or they might find a way to put you in jail for
      supporting the terrorists).

>On 29/09/14 16:59, Mark Newton wrote:
>

>On Sep 28, 2014, at 5:15 PM, Paul Wallace <paul.wallace at mtgi.com.au> wrote:
>
>1. Greater regulation is coming our way & "that's life" as they say.

That isn’t actually life, unless you bend over and let it happen.