[AusNOG] Not quite routing issue

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Mon Sep 22 20:01:43 EST 2014

On Sep 22, 2014, at 3:24 PM, Marcus Emanuel <marcus at hostcorp.com.au> wrote:

> Not that it should matter but the only difference I can see is that your new range has no reverse DNS associated with it.
>
> 1.20.20.103.in-addr.arpa (103.20.20.1)
>
> Vs
>
> 103.232.216.1

That can definitely cause an issue with some layer-7 stacks - good catch.  The OP should ahead and set up a reverse zone for the new subnet.  Sometimes stacks attempt reverse lookups and get bogged down when there's nothing returned.

Beyond that, the OP should look at the DNS recursive responses that querying resolvers on the new netblock receive vs. the ones on the old netblock, and see if there are any differences for a given query.

                   Equo ne credite, Teucri.

    		   	  -- Laocoön