[AusNOG] Experiences with PPPoE on MX5 or ASR1K

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com
Fri Sep 19 14:45:31 EST 2014

Re the MX80 Family.

There is no difference between an MX5 and an MX80 when it comes to being an
LNS.

They both can do a maximum of 4K users and process them at the same speed.

The only difference is the throughput, but the throughput on the MX80
family is essentially a hardware limit... no a license - although it is
enforced as such.

What I mean is.. licenses are related to MX5, 10, 40, 80.  The license
controls hardware port capability.. and the throughput is related to that.

So...

MX5 - 20Gb TP
MX10 - 40Gb TP
MX40 - 60Gb TP
MX80 - 80Gb TP

This is because:

MX5 - only 20 x 1gb ports = 20Gb max
MX10 - 20 ports built in + extra card, which can do 20x1gb or 2 x 10gb =
40Gb max
MX40 - 20 ports built in + extra card, which can do 20x1gb or 2 x 10gb + 2
x built-in 10Gb ports = 60Gb max
MX80 - 20 ports built in + extra card, which can do 20x1gb or 2 x 10gb + 4
x built-in 10Gb ports = 80Gb max

So, you see why it is really a physical hardware limit... because you can't
push anymore than the hardware can.

I am not sure exactly what the services card will have on the platform
however because it isn't controlled by licensing.

So the only reason you get a MX80 over an MX5 (or anything in the middle)
is because of the interfaces you want.

...Skeeve

linkedin.com/in/skeeve

twitter.com/theispguy ; blog: www.theispguy.com

The Experts Who The Experts Call
Juniper - Cisco - Cloud - Consulting - IPv4 Brokering