[AusNOG] Belong - Powered by Telstra

Jason Reid jasereid at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 15:13:46 EST 2014

My readings on the topic indicate Paul is on the money here - a low cost
brand that leverages off Telstra's tech, specifically targeting those
exchange areas that Bigpond has lost market share. Given Telstra's failed
attempts to purchase Dodo a few years back, then Adam Internet more
recently, it would have made sense to them to start their own VISP..

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 12:26 PM, Paul Brooks <pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
> wrote:

> And Jetstar to Qantas.
>
> There are many examples of a brand creating a different 'low cost' brand
> so they could chase a different demographic to their normal market segment,
> without trashing the original brand's reputation or expectations for
> quality or higher service levels etc.
> You might as well ask 'How does Jetstar differ materially from Qantas' -
> quite a lot!
>
> The inverse happens too -  Toyota created Lexus as a premium brand to
> chase an up-market market segment to their normal customer-base.
>
> P.
>

> On 18/09/2014 11:41 AM, Andrew Cox wrote:
>
> This seems like the same sort of thing as iiNet's "Jiva" brand -
> https://www.jiva.com.au/
>
>  - Andrew
>
> On 18 September 2014 02:01, Skeeve Stevens <
> skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com> wrote:
>
>> :)  This is what happens when you don't see advertising.
>>
>>  So, how do they materially differ from Bigpond?
>>

>> ...Skeeve
>>
>>  *Skeeve Stevens - *eintellego Networks Pty Ltd
>>  skeeve at eintellegonetworks.com ; www.eintellegonetworks.com
>>
>> Phone: 1300 239 038 <1300%20239%20038>; Cell +61 (0)414 753 383
>> <%2B61%20%280%29414%20753%20383> ; skype://skeeve
>>
>> facebook.com/eintellegonetworks ; linkedin.com/in/skeeve
>>
>> twitter.com/theispguy ; blog: www.theispguy.com
>>

>>  The Experts Who The Experts Call
>>  Juniper - Cisco - Cloud - Consulting - IPv4 Brokering
>>
>> On 18 September 2014 00:33, Brad Peczka <brad at bradpeczka.com> wrote:
>>
>>> You're very, very late to the party.
>>>
>>> http://www.itnews.com.au/News/361446,telstra-launches-low-cost-isp.aspx
>>>
>>> As for the branding - the Telstra brand still has a lot of pull,
>>> especially among the older generation(s), and if you can get 'Powered by
>>> Telstra' at x% of the cost of Telstra...
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> -Brad.

Jason Reid