[AusNOG] ADSL2+ Aggregation at LNS without MLPPP HOWTO

Jarrad Mitchell ausnog at outlook.com.au
Fri Sep 12 19:24:25 EST 2014

AbstractI'm Running a very fast 'combined' ADSL2+ Solution here, it has also proven very reliableI've mainly used it with per-destination downstream & per-packet upstream.  However, we recently decided to try per-packet for both due to the 'symmetry' between my ADSL Lines.  It works wonders!Please read the Telco Infrastructure section as I believe this to be the unique factor explaining my success.PerformanceUsing it with per-destination, uTorrent & downloading 5+ Debian DVD ISOs peaks at a max of 3.9 Megabytes / Second.  Although I'm not 100% convinced it gets QUITE there due to the lack of Bitrate that would leave for overhead.Speedtest.net Results - OneDrive was resyncing on a new laptop at the same time however.ArchitectureLNS -> Cisco CPE solution.CPE Configuration2x ADSL2+ Links terminating into HWIC-1ADSL Cards in a Cisco 1921- No MLPPP- PPPoA- Dialer0 & Dialer1, each have their own Static IP (only difference between standard config is ip load-sharing per-packet).- A Subnet is Routed by the ISP using both the static ips.- One of the Routed Subnet IPs is terminated on a virtual interface / vlan- A NAT Pool is created for that Routed Subnet IP- TWO standard Routes are placed (ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer0 & ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer0)Telco InfrastructureThe CopperEach Pair follows exactly the same path, which is approximately 1Km long.  The Pairs are terminated right next to each other at the Pillar (can't remember about the RIM), and enter into my property via the standard Gel Filled Twisted QUAD (not 2x separately twisted pairs, this is standard).The RIMTelstra 'TopHat' DSLAM.  No idea if ports are next to each other, but I suspect not for other reasons.BackhaulFibre Optic (ran at the same time as the Top Hatting.  Not sure if this is a statewide thing or just 3805.  Not sure if its ATM or IP - if you know, tell me please).Real Nerdy StuffATM 0/0/0Sync Downstream:    20181 KbpsSync Upstream:         1020 KbpsDFE BOM:         DFE3.0 Annex A (1)Capacity Used:   100%                            94%Noise Margin:     5.5 dB                          6.5 dBOutput Power:     5.5 dBm                        12.0 dBmAttenuation:     11.0 dB                          9.0 dBFEC ES Errors:   37932                           157851ES Errors:       90                              508SES Errors:       1                               3LOSES Errors:     1                               0UES Errors:       0                              479596ATM 0/1/0Sync Downstream:   19364 KbpsSync Upstream:        1020 KbpsDFE BOM:         DFE3.0 Annex A (1)Capacity Used:   100%                            94%Noise Margin:     6.0 dB                          6.5 dBOutput Power:     5.5 dBm                        12.0 dBmAttenuation:     11.0 dB                          9.0 dBFEC ES Errors:   25281                           16403ES Errors:       194                             362SES Errors:       1                               0LOSES Errors:     1                               0UES Errors:       0                              8669Both will slightly (~1000kbps) downtrain if I thrash the link as described above.  There is no noticeable impact on service quality.If you have any questions re: config details just ask.Cheers,Jarrad MitchellUnemployed Nerd Showoffjarrad at outlook.com.au