[AusNOG] Twin solar storms head towards Earth

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Fri Sep 12 18:54:39 EST 2014

On 12/09/2014 6:40 PM, Curtis Bayne wrote:
> If you're looking for something amusing to entertain yourself with this fine Friday
> evening, this particular topic is HOT on all the prepper forums at the moment. Enjoy
> the hyperbole :)
>
> For what it's worth, the BOM have a space weather department, available
> at http://www.ips.gov.au/
>
> Another blip on the radar, I am sure. I hope we see auroras here though - that would
> be a treat!

...and right on cue on the www.ips.gov.au site:
"Outage due to power failure. Some datasets unavailable."

(relax - this was 6th August, well before the current CME - but it made me chuckle
before I noticed the date!)

The CME arrival is expected to be midnight tonight AEST. Auroras predicted to be
visible from Southern Australian regions - Crow Eaters and Taswegians lucky.
I was lucky enough to see an aurora (dark brown/purple) from suburbs of Adelaide when
I lived there in my youth. Back then we didn't have such good visibility that the
protons were incoming.

P.