[AusNOG] Strange ADSL problem - troubleshooting / diagnosis advice wanted

Jarrad Mitchell ausnog at outlook.com.au
Fri Sep 12 18:35:50 EST 2014

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned or not as I just joined, but VDSL2 supports Vectoring, which as I understand it is basically scheduling transmission across the different pairs in say a 100 pair bundle.  This way, cross talk based interference is run.
Quote Paul:"VDSL2 doesn't really add much functionality to ADSL2 other than the vastly expanded frequency range."
'Frequency Range' literally means Bandwidth ;)  How much data you can transport over that - the Bitrate, which is what us IT folks generally mean when we say 'bandwidth' - really just comes down to how clever you are with math.
For Example:Interleaving in ADSL2 allows you to dedicate less of your bitrate to error correction, and hence make available more bandwidth.
Vectoring in VDSL2 allows the DSLAM some control over how much noise each pair will be subject to.  Imagining we have Pairs A,B,C,D in a flat ribbon.  Vectoring would ensure that Pairs A&C and B&D Transmit at the same time, but never A&B and C&D.  Because of this, each individual pair is subject to less crosstalk, and hence more bandwidth is usable over the same physical medium, and a higher bitrate can be achieved by increasing the width of your modulation scheme (eg, moving from 256 Bins to 512 Bins as in ADSL2->2+) or changing the complexity of your scheme (eg, ADSL1->ADSL2).
Sorry If I've repeated someone,
Cheers,
Jarrad