[AusNOG] Simon Hackett's slide deck from AusNOG 2014 with added audio

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Sep 11 12:31:52 EST 2014

On Wed, 10 Sep 2014, Scott Howard wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 6:03 PM, Beeson, Ayden <ABeeson at csu.edu.au> wrote:
>       Arguably, the biggest issue in the U.S. internet market is the lack of an options and no level playing field. With
>       all their cable companies carving the country up into unofficial monopolies you have exactly what you don’t want,
>       with incumbent providers having no business drive to actually compete or upgrade services.
>
> According to the FCC, 70% of US households have at least 2 options for providers.  How does that compare to Australia in terms
> of physical hardware (Not including exchanges that only have Telstra DSLAMS, for example).
>
> I've lived in the same apartment in California for about 5 years, and in that time my broadband speed has increased at least 3
> times- without a significant increase in price (<10% - around the same as inflation). The competitive provider to the one I use
> has also increased their speed at least 2-fold in the same time.
>
> I now have the choice of HFC running at up to 105Mbps, or FTTN/VDSL at 45Mbps.  That's a "lack of options" I'm happy with...

Not everyone is as lucky as you, the latest FCC data says only 25% of
households have have a choice of two providers at 25Mbps and above:
http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/09/most-of-the-us-has-no-broadband-competition-at-25mbps-fcc-chair-says/

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |