[AusNOG] Simon Hackett's slide deck from AusNOG 2014 with added audio

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 19:20:31 EST 2014

I'm not going to enter into the discussion about the quality of advice
received by the previous minister's office, except to say that some of it
did actually come from people who do run networks. I do, however, point you
to the various deep research efforts also going on in bandwidth forecasting.

Eg:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/service-provider/visual-networking-index-vni/VNI_Hyperconnectivity_WP.html

Of course, CIsco do have a heavy vested interest in over-forecasting.

As do Alcatel, so of course their result is similar:
http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/press/2013/002957

So they *would* say that people will need bucketloads of bandwidth in the
future.

I know of a massive project in India to roll out FTTH and then there's
Verizon, Comcast and various European telcos...

One way or another it will be needed eventually - it's all just a question
of when the market, regulatory and other forces combine to make it a
reality.

Anyone wanting to hear the official line for consumers and the NBN should
come along to the ACCAN National Conference next week:
http://accan.org.au/2014conference

regards

Narelle Clark
[disclaimer - yes I have a day job at ACCAN]

--

Narelle
narellec at gmail.com