[AusNOG] Failed fibre

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 16:04:12 EST 2014

On 10 September 2014 11:11, Alex Samad - Yieldbroker <
Alex.Samad at yieldbroker.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am wondering if anyone has had a fibre cross connect that failed, but
> the failure was not attributed to work being done close by, it accidentally
> cutting, breaking, pinch pressing.

I have had a fibre cross-connect that ran across the ceiling of a factory
environment (it ran directly above powder-coating plant) fail over a period
of time due the harsh environmental conditions in which it was expected to
operate.

I've also seen fibre runs destroyed by rodent activity.

I've just requested a quote to have a new run done in the same environment,
and had the cabling company question why I wanted the whole run enclosed in
conduit.  I had to explain to them that the $800 premium (on a $5k total
project cost) was completely justified...