[AusNOG] Simon Hackett's slide deck from AusNOG 2014 with added audio

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 12:03:08 EST 2014

On 10 September 2014 09:40, Stuart Low <stuart.low at me.com> wrote:

> I disagree and I think "replaced" is the wrong word. FTTN gives you
> ducting and strands in the ground for 90% of the last mile, a vast majority
> of the copper issues are in this 90% save for premises that are running
> their loop through storm drains etc.

Do you have evidence to support the claim that 90% of issues occur in the
90% of the last mile that will be replaced?  My anecdotal evidence is that
the majority of the ADSL issues I've experienced occur in the pit outside a
residential property.  I don't claim my anecdotal evidence to be indicative
of the general population though.

> By implementing FTTN you've solved a very large part of the problem
> (access, ducting, water resistance, distance and bad patching jobs at the
> break out). A very large majority of the "disaster" sites live in this
> break out location and the indication is the FTTN cabinets will be plonked
> directly beside them.

One FTTN node per street or even a couple for longer streets) won't solve
the issue I've described above.

> The other indication is that FTTP is still available albeit on a user pays
> model. Going large on FTTP is relatively easy at this point because you can
> pull fresh strands and turn your FTTN nodes into passive patching frames.

Is that the same as the original FTTP model?  Does the passive patching
frame become a potential failure point that didn't exist in the FTTP model?
 Does this add more complexity to the FTTP proposal which (as I understood
it) didn't use aggregation points out in the field, but rather ran a
passive fibre connection right back to the local exchange?

> The bottom line is though that the "unwashed masses" would be perfectly
> happy with FTTN for at least the next few decades as all they care about is
> a reliable (ie. not peppered with CRCs and reed-solomon's) and "fast" (ie.
> maybe 20mbit down and 3-5 up) connection to watch their cat videos and/or
> some streaming TV (multicast is still totally possible here). Maybe
> eventually they will want to stream 4K but even that proposition is
> curtailing your target audience to the "tech heads", my Mum doesn't care
> about that but she's sick of waiting for her email to download.

Today, yes, for the next few decades, not even close.  Why are they OK with
it today - because today's requirements and expectations are at least
partially defined by the capabilities that can be delivered to them today.
 I am sure that once the NBN is put in place, we'll move to a new era of
"haves" and "have nots" as the differences between what the technologies
can deliver are discovered.

Your Mum's email is slow to download because she's sending and receiving
things that even 5 years ago nobody would think of sending via email.  The
world has changed, dramatically, and continues to change dramatically at a
rate that is, frankly, quite scary at times.

We have to stop planning for today, and plan for tomorrow.

> Anyone else is either an I.T. guy (ie. can probably afford the user pays)
> or a torrent leecher that probably shouldn't be doing what they are doing
> in the first place.

That's not even remotely fair.  In this world according to you, all IT
workers are highly paid or have low living expenses. and can easily afford
a FTTP payment of what has been suggested may be as high as $8k.  Not only
that, but apparently any person who needs more than FTTN can deliver in
their particular environment (noting that whilst VDSL with bonding can
deliver good speeds, speed drops with distance from the node) is likely
doing the wrong thing.  You might as well start suggesting that people of
certain ethnic backgrounds probably stole their computers...

> Of course, all bets are off for business use (but they could pay for FTTP
> too) so let's keep this residential focused for now.

Of course, small business, which makes up the vast majority of businesses
in Australia, has money lying around to spend on FTTP...

> Just my 2c,

And I've added my 5c. :)