[AusNOG] Choice says using Netflix is NOT Piracy (and PayTV subscriber numbers)

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Tue Sep 9 15:13:16 EST 2014

On Tue, 9 Sep 2014, Julian De Marchi wrote:

> On 09/09/14 14:39, Serge Burjak wrote:
>> VPN users are pirates, apparently..
>
> No need to beat round the bush. We know this is true in a sense. We'll all be
> kidding our selves if we said otherwise.

Overgeneralization much?!

While it may be true for some people, or even for some classes of users,
it is certainly NOT proof of guilt.

Quite a few of us have/use VPNs for entirely legitimate purposes such as
backups and trunking genuine traffic between sites (eg, offices).

A lot of others use VPNs as indicated already to perfectly legitimately
access content LEGALLY PURCHASED (or licensed) from vendors (typically
internationally but need not always be).

YOU may be a p!rate, and admit that YOUR use of a VPN equates to piracy,
but DON'T lump the rest of us in that category.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem!