[AusNOG] Avoiding the NBNco

Andrew Cox andrew.cox at bigair.net.au
Wed Sep 3 01:26:12 EST 2014

There is only one valid reason I'm aware of to do this that doesn't just
involve earning yourself money and/or providing a different type of service.

In some locations where a business space or accommodation can be taken for
short time periods, the current business/resident may opt to sign up for a
3 (or more) year contract to get a cheap service for their business/room.
They then leave just a few weeks or months later and the service is now no
longer being paid for and the line is still connected and registered under
that person's name (who has either gone back overseas, or skipped town etc
etc etc). Someone else wants to come in and either a) they can't hook up
their own service as there is now an connection under contract that's not
been paid for on the existing line and can't be cancelled because no-one at
the location is able to speak on the users behalf or b) in some cases the
telco decides to bar the line from being utilised for any alternative
service until the outstanding bill has been paid.

If a centre operator / accommodation provider wants to protect themselves
against things like this then they have to prevent it and bring in
something they have more fine grained control over.

Just my 2c.

- Andrew