[AusNOG] Avoiding the NBNco

Mark Currie MCurrie at laserfast.com.au
Tue Sep 2 16:55:14 EST 2014

Some shopping centre operators (such as some DFO sites) like to operate as a mini-isp/telco, and basically provision an Ethernet tail/direct dial PBX into the shop, and charge the shop for the privilege. We have a customer with a some shops in DFO's and some are basically forced to connect using the onsite PBX / Ethernet and they are a pain in the bum as the rest of the network is MPLS, so we have to put a VPN tail back to corporate firewall for them. Also, can you say "Price gouging", but because it is part of the rental "package", you cannot complain.. I know one DFO site was running on a 4Mb EoC tail (may have upgraded to 10Mb) to cover all the shops, it was bloody slow...

Mark Currie