[AusNOG] Metadata retention... it's now (almost) a thing

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Fri Oct 31 09:32:55 EST 2014

On 30/10/2014 12:30, Mark Newton wrote:

> On Oct 30, 2014, at 11:54 AM, David Beveridge <dave at bevhost.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't know why you're so upset about this.
>> They're only asking you to keep radius and smtp logs.
>
> Well, no, they haven't detailed what they want anyone to keep yet.

They've made it clear enough that David's right, but, a lot can change
between now and then.

> According to AFP Commissioner Colvin this morning, the initial set of
> data carriage service providers will be required (not "asked") to keep
> will be the minimum set of data the copyright rightsholders industries
> will need to manage and control their businesses. So that's pretty
> great then, eh?

I think you'll find he's overstepped the mark, as we both know,
copyright infringement is a civil mater not criminal, and the new bill
makes it pretty clear access to the data can only be for criminal
investigations, so unless it gets re-worded, or copright is written into
the criminal code, the hollywood cops got SFA chance of it being
available to them. But I wouldnt be surprised if the minister for
hollywood has a loophole available to him.

It might also have been covered (still got 73 msgs to read in this
folder) but free public Wifi's are in the exempt list.