[AusNOG] Metadata retention... it's now (almost) a thing

David Beveridge dave at bevhost.com
Fri Oct 31 08:18:10 EST 2014

This is the part I think that many people are stretching too far.,
If I provide and ADSL service then I need to track the end points of that
service eg IP address
If it's free wifi then I'm storing MAC Addresses
If it's a mail server then I track email addresses (and probably client IP)
If it's a SIP server, it needs to keep phone numbers and or SIP addresses,
if it's a mobile phone it needs to keep the phone numbers, cell towers and
GPRS IP Addresses.
and so on..
And on that count I think this legislation will be the toughest on mobile
phone providers.

It has been stated many times that the information being sought after is
that which is already routinely stored by ISPs already.
The primary objective of the legislation is to ensure that ISPs keep this
data for two years.

Since it is not routine for ISP to identify phone numbers dialled by skype
clients or remote facebook chatters these things are not the communication
endpoints unless you are skype of facebook.

I think what worries some is that netflow data is collected by some ISPs
and if we were required to keep that for two years the costs would be
enormous. The netflow data just from my house would be several terabytes in
a year, so multiply that by the population of Australia and it becomes a
ridiculous assertion that we should be required to store that much data.

Another big question I have, is if a business buys a VPS with cpanel on it,
who is responsible for configuring the email log retention.  Is it even
required?  Surely the owner of the VPS is providing a service to someone
and is therefore the service provider in that case, but perhaps it depends
on whether they sell it or not.

Starts to sound like the GST debate., If the birthday cake has candles on
it then GST is payable on the candles but not the cake. bla bla bla.

dave