[AusNOG] Metadata retention... it's now (almost) a thing

Matt Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Thu Oct 30 13:25:55 EST 2014

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 01:07:04PM +1100, Peter Tonoli wrote:
> Or operating systems even ..
> <http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/06/09/mac-address-randomization-joins-apples-heap-of-ios-8-privacy-improvements>

MAC address randomisation doesn't do anything when you associate with an AP,
merely when you're broadcasting "hey, is anyone out there?" messages (as per
the big black box towards the top of the article you linked to).

- Matt

--
Of course, I made the mistake of showing [a demo application] off to my boss,
who showed it off to his boss, and suddenly I couldn't reboot my desktop box