[AusNOG] Metadata retention... it's now (almost) a thing

Matt Perkins matt at spectrum.com.au
Thu Oct 30 12:12:07 EST 2014

If it's just source IP to username stuff im happy with that. It's just
the radius logs after all. There seems to be a grey area around email.
Let's see what happens there email logs  would not be the end of the
world.  It's how much responsibility do we have for customer end points
worry's me. For example.

We provide a connection to customer X with a managed firewall. Customer
X has 2000 employees and 1 Ip address that's internet facing. Are we
required to be able to identify customer X's employee Y based on the IP.
Or is it good enough to say it's customer X.

The rest i dont really care about. We do it anyway for billing. However
it does complicate my grand CGN idea... ( back to the old drawing board)

Also what penalties are in place if we loose or otherwise for some
reason not able to identify a customer. Could we go to jail for a hard
disk crash ? What's the liability.

Matt.

On 30/10/2014 12:02 pm, David Beveridge wrote:
> I was listening to the parliament broadcast on the radio this morning
> and (boring I know)
> but I definitely heard Malcolm say that we not be required to record
> the destination IP addresses that customers visit, only the source IP
> address mapping.
> That is, we should be able to supply the account name of the customer
> who had the IP address at a given date and time.
>
> I'm not really sure where this leaves freewifi providers which have a
> multitude of unknown users behind a single IP.
>

> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 10:56 AM, Ben Cooper <ben at zeno.io
> <mailto:ben at zeno.io>> wrote:
>
>     Last I checked (90 minutes ago). They still have not set what data
>     they want kept.
>
>     Reference:
>     http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/search/display/display.w3p;query=Id%3A%22legislation%2Fems%2Fr5375_ems_e6cf11b4-5a4e-41bc-ae27-031e2b90e001%22
>
>     On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 10:54 AM, David Beveridge
>     <dave at bevhost.com <mailto:dave at bevhost.com>> wrote:
>
>         I don't know why you're so upset about this.
>         They're only asking you to keep radius and smtp logs.
>         It's not like you're being asked to keep two years worth of
>         netflow history.
>
>         dave
>
>         On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 10:35 AM, Paul Julian
>         <paul at oxygennetworks.com.au
>         <mailto:paul at oxygennetworks.com.au>> wrote:
>
>             This is total bullshit, these people just have no clue, is
>             there nothing we can do as a community to try and stop
>             this nonsense ?
>
>             I can just see the $$$$ now.....
>
>             Regards
>
>             Paul

/* Matt Perkins
         Direct 1300 137 379     Spectrum Networks Ptd. Ltd.
         Office 1300 133 299     matt at spectrum.com.au
                                 Level 6, 350 George Street Sydney 2000
         PGP/GNUPG Public Key can be found at  http://pgp.mit.edu
*/