[AusNOG] Metadata retention... it's now (almost) a thing

Andrew Yager andrew at rwts.com.au
Thu Oct 30 12:07:52 EST 2014

I think the issue is very much that it's unknown what the requirement is.
Until we can see the legislation it's hard to make any assessments as to
the level of data required to be retained, and any unintended implications
of the wording.

I certainly am expecting some significant "stings" in the tail from poorly
worded legislation, but would be pleasantly surprised to see it being
exactly what Malcolm has said.

Free WiFi is obviously one area I'm very keen to see their input on.

It's also clear from the news article that iiNet certainly also believe the
jury is still out on data to be collected.

Andrew