[AusNOG] Telstra not accepting incoming SMTP connections from relay

Andrew Hageman ahageman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 11:35:44 EST 2014

Hey Fellas,

Hoping someone can help with this (Telstra support certainly weren't any
help).

My company has a few mail servers which relay through a SPAM filtering
host.  I can see on the spam filter host, that there are many messages
stuck in the queue (some for 4+ days) that are destined for @telstra.com, @
bigpond.com or @bigpond.net.au addresses.  These are not spam emails, these
are legitimate emails from a few of our customers simply trying to email
various different people who have telstra owned mailboxes.

When the relay attempt occurs, the SMTP connection error message reads:

lost connection with extmail.bigpond.com[61.9.168.122] while receiving the
initial SMTP greeting

This is for any Telstra bound email.  We have since re-IP'd our SPAM filter
host which results in the same response.  It looks like Telstra are
blocking inbound SMTP connections from our SPAM filter... does anyone have
any ideas about how I can fix this or who I can speak to?

Cheers,

Andrew