[AusNOG] The digital divide

Alex Samad - Yieldbroker Alex.Samad at yieldbroker.com
Thu Oct 23 14:47:30 EST 2014

Hi

In Slashdot
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/14/10/22/2140207/will-fiber-to-the-home-create-a-new-digital-divide

The article
http://www.networkcomputing.com/networking/fiber-networks-and-the-new-digital-divide/a/d-id/1316829

The opening line
"Three months ago, my wife and I moved to a new apartment in Barcelona. A week after our telephone line and DSL service were installed, our ISP offered us fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) service without additional cost."

"FTTH connections are currently booming in countries such as Portugal and Spain. In Spain, Telefónica will reach 10 million households this year. Jazztel, recently acquired by the French operator Orange, will reach 3 million more users at the end of the year. Portugal's main operator, Portugal Telecom (PT), had more than 1.3 million homes connected at the end of 2013, with plans to reach 2.5 million this year."

Can any remember which telco Malcom bought into.. I remember at the time it was touted as removing FTTN and moving towards FTTH.