[AusNOG] TPG Peering

Joshua D'Alton joshua at railgun.com.au
Wed Oct 22 16:18:07 EST 2014

Prior to TPG grabbing AAPT much of the traffic they gained from AAPT was
with Telstra/Optus (mostly Telstra?), so I'd expect now TPG has much more
of the traffic flowing into AAPT ports with the Telstra/Optus ports being
de-prioritised, probably even more so as AS7545 contracts with
Telstra/Optus come to renewal. Would love to be a fly on the walls at those
meetings, I wonder if Telstra might even actually come to the table at
keeping the 1221/7545 relationship alive, vs having to fiddle with
configuration and design if all the traffic is via 2764.

If all the traffic from PIPE (were TPG to leave) was able to flow via
Telstra/Optus/AAPT (or direct TPG even), which it should 20G is not much
especially if its mostly staying in Sydney, then it'd only be the CDNs
really that would have to figure out how to deliver to TPG. And they'd
either just wear higher usage on their Telstra/Optus (or Pacnet->Opt/Tel)
ports, or pay for the increase they'd have to get in a few months anyway
(CDN growth rates as they are).

TPG might get some complaints from their user base at the loss of that
direct route, but I suspect most of the companies losing PIPE->TPG would
have a much larger percentage of their user base complaining (even ignoring
the ones already). It might be a dick move, but when one enters the club of
elite, why would one not use that power?

<doom and gloom and conspiracy section>
Funnily enough Telstra has enough of the market they could almost de-peer
the rest with not much trouble, they already own most of the residential
eyeballs, AND the business traffic serving them, so I'd think 50%+ of their
customers would be business as usual, another 30% wondering why the route
to their mate next door on Optus goes via Singapore, and the last 20%
either being tech minded or smart enough to figure out what had happened.

ACCC would probably force them back on, but still... What's the old saying
about how 3 can control a jury of 13? 7 agree to vote one way, 4 of the 7
conspire, and 3 of the 4 conspire. I think Telstra can be that 3 scary
thought.
</hat off>