[AusNOG] TPG Peering

Luke Iggleden luke+ausnog at sisgroup.com.au
Wed Oct 22 10:39:17 EST 2014

On 22/10/2014 10:22 am, Joseph Goldman wrote:

>> Why wouldn't TPG add a couple of extra 10G ports to their peering
>> network considering their cost is $0.
>
> Because if they don't, and Jared gets enough complaints, it might compel
> him to give in and buy domestic transit from TPG direct for his needs.
> Their practices have been money driven, with odd routing that has been
> pointed out in the past.

I'm not certain that would work. He could just re-route via an alternate
existing provider. Would anybody here be convinced to buy transit off a
provider if you are having capacity issues with them at a peering level?

I have seen the routing oddities first hand, some of them don't even
make commercial sense:

Eg - before AAPT was TPG

If you had or in our case, a provider of ours had PIPE Transit the
routing policy decision would be to local pref domestic Transit (AAPT)
if a tpg 'customer direct' transit route disappeared from their table.

Why does this make any sense at all, if a peered (free) route exists on
your IX, why would you PAY to send traffic to it?

My only assumption was it stopped TPG from giving free transit to
someone if they advertised the aggregate through their transit provider
(tpg cust direct) and /24's via pipe peering? As the aggregate would be
announced to their transit peers but the /24 via pipe peering is where
the end point of the packets would be delivered.

(none of the above makes commercial sense)

> It's pretty poor form but what would a provider like Jared do? Start
> losing business as those hosting with him say their visitors are
> complaining too much (from TPG customers)?

Do:
Communicate with your clients on what you've found to be the issue.
Raise the issue with provider and attempt to fix.
Route around it.