[AusNOG] Google DNS

James Morgan James.Morgan at vernet.com.au
Wed Oct 15 09:47:36 EST 2014

> As Google and OpenDNS's resolvers seem to be relatively popular (I'm
not completely sure why, ISPs should be running well performing
resolvers themselves)

Just on that, why are they so popular?  For me it's partially laziness.
The addresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are easy to remember, and particularly
if you're configuring a connection on an ISP that isn't your own it's
often a pain to go and find those details.  Internode for example has
this five clicks deep and a long scroll off the front page (via search).
TPG has it two clicks deep with a short scroll.  iiNet is two clicks
with a longer scroll.  Telstra (for BigPond) is three clicks deep,
originally leading to fairly useless information.

Of course, you'll struggle to see any of these without original DNS
settings... ;)  Maybe that's where it comes from?

James.