[AusNOG] port 0 probes

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Wed Oct 8 07:05:50 EST 2014

>________________________________

So according to the authoritative IANA reference, port zero is a reserved UDP port.

https://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.xhtml

However, that might actually be incorrect, as in the UDP spec, port zero is used to indicate when the UDP source port is optional information:

https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc768.txt

"Source Port is an optional field, when meaningful, it indicates the port
of the sending  process,  and may be assumed  to be the port  to which a
reply should  be addressed  in the absence of any other information.  If
not used, a value of zero is inserted."

The use case I can think of when the source port would be optional is when the UDP "transaction" is one way i.e., there would be no reply to the first UDP packet, and therefore there source port is redundant information, at least from the perspective of the application. Unacknowledged SNMP traps could be an example.