[AusNOG] Offsite Storage

Jake Anderson yahoo at vapourforge.com
Wed Nov 26 17:02:39 EST 2014

I'd just go a stack of these
http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/sandisk-32gb-ultra-usb-3-0-flash-drive-sdcz4832gb

Write the data, then read it back out and verify.
Heck run em in pairs (2 copies).

Replace them every 6 months.
I'm guessing you aren't after historical data changes?

I have one client that is snarky about that kind of thing, so I run a
ZFS fileserver snapshotting hourly. Then I replicate all that to a
backup file server, the backup server can only talk to the main file
server not the wider network.
Backup server then has its snapshots replicated onto encrypted 2Tb
removable disks that the receptionist swaps out on a daily basis and
ensures one is always offsite.

So they have a max data loss of 2 days, and they have hourly snapshots
going back a few years.

Its weak to a rouge system administrator who has 3 days worth of
planning time.
If they took archival disks that'd go away but that was too much $$$.