[AusNOG] Offsite Storage

Ross [Eve IT] ross at eve-it.net
Wed Nov 26 16:25:07 EST 2014

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 3:41 PM, Alan Maher <alanmaher at gmail.com> wrote:

> This reminds me of a funny story from 15 years ago (back in the Dark Ages).

About 10 years ago I was asked to refit/refresh a nursing home system, they
had a few desktops and a server.
They were very paranoid about backups as all their info was in a local
database using a custom application.
They had a floppy disk for every day of the week, 100s of floppy disks
labelled with date and time of backup, very impressive !....

I asked them to show me their backup procedure, the receptionist proceeded
to open windows explorer, then drag the desktop shortcut for the database
application to the floppy disk in windows explorer, *tick tick* the floppy
disk went, and that's that, all backed up :)
The look on their faces when I told them what they'd been backing up for
the last 2 years was priceless.