[AusNOG] Offsite Storage

Geordie Guy elomis at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 16:23:23 EST 2014

That's true, but not very many.  You usually find that they have
legislative, policy or other regulatory reasons to "maintain effective
operational security", "comply with Australian privacy principles set out
in the act", "be able to provide access to Australian authorities with
authorisation" or some other giant pile of non-technical requirements which
the risk and compliance department and / or in-house counsel interpret as
"this has to be saved on a disk in an Australian data centre", which they
then cascade down to someone else, which gets escalated back to someone's
boss, which gets transferred to the IT boss at a leadership meeting, and
then cascades down to the guy who actually logs into AWS as "it has to be
in ap-southeast-2"