[AusNOG] iiNet Tech Contact for NBN Service Config

Jeremy Visser jeremy at visser.name
Thu Nov 20 14:44:45 EST 2014

On 20/11/14 09:18, Joseph Goldman wrote:
> TBH - personal opinion, but the providers who have the option of
> IPoE and PPPoE, why not continue to use PPPoE? Is there a greater
> advantage to IPoE?

User experience.

(Almost) all consumer routers default to DHCP over an Ethernet port.  Buying a router off-the-shelf, and plugging all the cables in with zero configuration required is very attractive.

(This also applies to customers who accidentally factory reset their router.)

> I would have thought it would still be preferred choice to not have
> to re-design the network and RADIUS accounting etc around IPoE when
> most providers are already set up for PPPoE.

You can do the engineering once, and it's done.  Reduced support overhead is a benefit that will be reaped for years afterwards.