[AusNOG] iiNet Tech Contact for NBN Service Config

Joseph Goldman joe at apcs.com.au
Thu Nov 20 09:18:53 EST 2014

I wouldn't think you'd be setting a static IP on your end if you are
plugging straight into the NTD - you'd be awaiting a DHCP lease from the
far end. If you are purchasing extra IP's (a 'framed route') then they
would likely route via your leased IP and would not work as a straight
static address configured on the outside alone.

Chuck a device into DHCP lease mode (preferably a non-windows box that
will keep trying to obtain and wont give up) to see if you get a lease.
Even better if it was the first device you plugged into the unit.

TBH - personal opinion, but the providers who have the option of IPoE
and PPPoE, why not continue to use PPPoE? Is there a greater advantage
to IPoE? I would have thought it would still be preferred choice to not
have to re-design the network and RADIUS accounting etc around IPoE when
most providers are already set up for PPPoE.