[AusNOG] Lets Encrypt

Nick nick at agentpoint.com
Wed Nov 19 16:31:53 EST 2014

I can get domain validated SSL's for AU$10/yr, not from StartSSL.
Free is just the next logical price cutting step. Its not really a
decrease in security at all.

This is great because the biggest thing preventing me from securing all
our clients that we host is the tedious step of getting them to forward
a system email address to me so I can verify their domain.
Its bad enough with clients who require it. With this we could offer to
do it by default for everyone.

Free, easy to verify and SNI means there would be very few reasons not
to encrypt all sites.

The only thing that might be needed is browsers to show a bigger
difference between DV certificates and OV/EV.

On 19/11/14 16:21, Nick Savvides wrote:
> Personally I remove or mark as untrusted CAs that I don’t think I have valid reason to work with from systems I manage.
>
> Unfortunately you cannot do this on Apple iOS.
>

> Nick.

> Nick Savvides,  Senior Principal Systems Engineer (Security)
> nick_savvides at symantec.com, Mobile: +61 434 600 870
>
>> On 19 Nov 2014, at 11:40 , Mark Newton <newton at atdot.dotat.org> wrote:
>>

>> On Nov 19, 2014, at 10:42 AM, Alex Samad - Yieldbroker <Alex.Samad at yieldbroker.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Would you trust a CA who gave our certs to any one ?
>> Verisign/Thawte have been giving certs to just anyone for years.
>>
>> Your browser trusts hundreds (thousands?) of CAs, some of which are owned or controlled by hostile foreign governments.  Just sayin’.
>>
>>   - mark

Nick Stallman
Agentpoint Pty Ltd
The Real Estate Web Developers
Melbourne | Sydney | Miami
nick at agentpoint.com
www.agentpoint.com.au | www.zooproperty.com | www.ginga.com.au |
www.business2.com.au

Business2.com.au is a real estate agent information website that helps
you understand Portals, Technology and comes with FREE tools to help
your Agency become an online success!