[AusNOG] New industry body to represent ISPs. (was Re: Re RackCentral

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Wed Nov 19 13:41:01 EST 2014

On 18/11/2014 2:48 PM, Skeeve Stevens wrote:
> I'd be involved for sure...
>
> I was trying to get ISOC-AU more involved as the SP rep... but couldn't get it
> happening... under-resourced and under-funded.

...and its not really what ISOC-AU's mission is, but in most cases interests are aligned.

As Vice-Pres for ISOC-AU these days, and while Skeeve was involved actively - any
organisation exists to serve its members. Looking through the corporate memberships on
the various pages under (http://www.internet.org.au/Orgmems) there are precisely 2 -
count them *2* - traditional ISPs as members, Optus and Internode - and with Internode
now part of iiNet, I suspect it won't be maintaining a separate membership for long.
Skeeve and eintellego have been an active supporter as well for many years, and lots
of web-hosting organisations are helping keep the machinery running.

Under-resourced is a consequence of under-funded, ISOC-AU has been run purely by the
goodwill of many unpaid volunteers for several years, although we have now hired a new
paid CEO again so things are going to be more active again RSN.
Travel costs money. Buying dedicated hours from someone to do the lobbying costs money.

FWIW, we (the board) have been actively meeting with both sides of government,
Turnbull, Clare, the Department as well as Ludlam, preparing submissions and
presenting at parliamentary inquiries over the past few weeks/months, in conjunction
with more vocal bodies like APF and EFF.  Talk is cheap - rather than talking about
who aughta do it, we're just getting on and doing it, trying to inject some rational
facts and education into those that need it.
It worked in pushing mandatory content filtering off the agenda several years ago.

Our businesses suffer while we (the Board) are distracted doing this, and we wear the
sacrifice because we think its important.

Funding *could* come from you guys - 40 ISPs from this list signing up as Sustaining
or Enterprise members - and maintaining that each year - will help enormously to fund
the travelling, organisation and a person or two to dedicate to the task.

https://www.isoc-au.org.au/cgi-bin/memsecure.cgi - you know you need to put your money
where your mouth should be.

Paul.
( former voluntary Treasurer for 5 years)

--
Paul Brooks
Vice-President