[AusNOG] Lets Encrypt

Colin Stubbs colin.stubbs at equatetechnologies.com.au
Wed Nov 19 13:03:48 EST 2014

Correct. They shouldn't be in any trusted bundles because cacert.org does
absolutely nothing to validate anything more than the ability to read an
email.

StartCom, as weird as they are an as irritating as their interface is, at
least do go to reasonable lengths to validate personal and business
identity.

Though they may also try to get you to jump through oddly shaped hoops
where you will enjoy lovely conversations that basically flow like below,
if memory serves correctly,

Me: "Hello this is Colin speaking."
StartCom: "Hi, are you $FULL_NAME born on $DOB"
Me: "It would appear so, given you called me after I gave you this number
via email a few minutes ago."
StartCom: "Do you have a direct land line number we can call you on?"
Me: "No."
StartCom: "Why don't you not have a direct land line number we can call?"
Me: "2014"
StartCom: "Can you fax us your documents?"
Me: "No"
StartCom: "Why can't you fax us something?"
Me: "2014"
StartCom: "Do you have a fax number we can send a fax to?"
Me: "No"
StartCom: "Why don't you have a fax number we can send you something to?"
Me: "2014"