[AusNOG] Lets Encrypt

Reuben Farrelly reuben-ausnog at reub.net
Wed Nov 19 11:45:07 EST 2014

On 19/11/2014 11:38 AM, Colin Stubbs wrote:
> Many existing CA's who already offer "free certs" have those
> limitations, they only charge for the identity verification process, the
> cost of which increases with the complexity required to verify who you
> are and what you own.

Question: do end users really care at all about the identity verification?

I don't think I've ever met a non-IT person (ie 95% of the target
audience for websites) who knows the difference between the highly
complex validated and only minimally (email) validated certificates.

I've certainly never come across anyone who refuses to proceed to a site
because the validation level isn't high enough or the certificate isn't
reputable.  Most people don't even know that that's what certificates
are for (that's a "techie" thing, right?).

As long as the popup box doesn't come up, very few people care...so in
that regard I think this project will fill a useful purpose.

Reuben