[AusNOG] PTR Records

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Nov 18 12:34:46 EST 2014

In message <CAM9f+Zw4fbWXbr2gne0iLWppywN-oU32Uf4P3H17M1cK3D+JLw at mail.gmail.com>, David Beveridge writes:

> Can anyone point me to any RFC which says that there are restrictions on
> the name a PTR can point to.
>
> I have been told by a certain ISP that I cannot have a PTR pointing to
> mycompany.com.au as it is NON-standard and which cannot and should not be
> done.  They insist on setting the PTR to mail.mycompany.com.au and refuse
> to do as I ask.
>
> I have never heard of any such thing.
>
> dave.

There isn't such a restriction.

That said if you are sending email from mail.mycompany.com.au and
it announces itself as mail.mycompany.com.au in the HELO / EHLO
then it would be wise for the PTR record to be mail.mycompany.com.au
and for there to be A/AAAA records for mail.mycompany.com.au.

If your mail server announces itself as mycompany.com.au then the
PTR record should be set to mycompany.com.au.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org