[AusNOG] SDN

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com
Tue Nov 18 11:56:46 EST 2014

My view on SDN is...

- In the enterprise space - Like BluRay, it will win the battle and lose
the war.  Enterprise networking for the most part will move more and more
to the cloud where the foundation is already sitting on top of SDN and that
will be for your cloud providers and Virtual X-Connect Fabrics to worry
about.

There will be products, but little use for SDN in the Enterprise unless
someone productises something of enough interest (unlikely) ... and at the
moment, there isn't too much.  Kind of like the IPv6 argument.  Right now
there is no killer-app that most enterprises MUST have to go SDN in-house.
The skills are also rare for the most part, so enterprises aren't going to
take a risk on technology where they can't get the necessary skills to run
it - for whatever reasons they might use SDN.

- In the carrier space - It is already making a massive difference to some
carriers offerings and will be the foundation of all carrier and service
provider networks in the next few years.  SDN will make hardware vendors
irrelevant in the next couple of years as Whitebox switching takes off and
network equipment takes the path of Servers - tin with little to no
value-add.  Soon it won't matter what kit you use - it will just be ports
and wires, all centrally controlled.

If you are a classic Network Engineer with no *nux or programming skills
and you aren't planning on learning these things soon, then prepare for a
new career in the next couple of years as no one will want you, or your
value will worth far far less.

...Skeeve

linkedin.com/in/skeeve

twitter.com/theispguy ; blog: www.theispguy.com

The Experts Who The Experts Call
Juniper - Cisco - Cloud - Consulting - IPv4 Brokering