[AusNOG] Re RackCentral

Curtis Bayne curtis at bayne.com.au
Tue Nov 18 09:32:47 EST 2014

I've been on both sides of this equation - it is wholly unpleasant for all
involved.

I cannot speak for RackCentral, but there are two things I'd like to
mention:

1. I personally feel that blackholing traffic from the AS is poor form - I
cannot attest to RackCentral's motivations, but I believe that providing
transitional support to customers is important - they rely on these
services and it may provide a way for the creditors to recover at least
something.

2. Pulling a phoenix is also poor form and Vocus, whilst having lost a
substantial amount of money, are lucky to be of a size where the resources
to both enforce the terms of their contracts, as well as absorb losses
without substantial interruption are available. There are probably multiple
small businesses on this list who are two delinquent high-revenue customers
away from serious problems.

I just hope everyone manages to recover their costs and the customers are
looked after...