[AusNOG] TPG NOC CONTACT

Alan Maher alanmaher at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 20:15:30 EST 2014

As in an independent contractor, I have a whale of a time with this stuff.
For every client stuck in a loop, attempting to talk to some call centre
somewhere,
and following a script, which the individual doesn't understand, nor
care, they
hang up and call their local "go to" guy.

And I spring a few dollars out of them for resetting the router,
checking the line, and
making sure the DSL connection is up and running. And maybe spring
another few dollars
checking they actually do have anti-virus, and not an ancient
subscription to Nortons
that expired in 1999.

It isn't hard, but I can understand how the average punter feels about
all this.
They bought a service, and it stopped working.

So.... they call the provider.........and it all turns to custard after
that.
A bunch of people who talk a different language- and I'm not talking about
call centres in the Philippines, just the guy on the phone.

Joe Blow wouldn't know a DSL filter from a Rothman's Filter.
And more importantly, he doesn't care.

Something broke, and he wants it fixed.

If you are an ISP, you need to sort this stuff out better, or cut me a
slice to
do it for you. (Sorry-delete that... I already have enough ISP fallout
to deal with)

Not that it matters too much, I already do this anyway.
And I take the dollar off the end user, rather than rely on some
corporate payment
scenario that often gets "delayed".

My reputation is good- how about yours?

And don't get me started on the price of spare parts for HP/Compaq gear.
Yes, I am an electronics bod, with a few clues on the rest of the stuff.

Fighting the FUD is my mission.
Computers are simple.
Corporates complicate things for a reason, mostly to do with marketing.
Routers are simple- see the above.
People are complicated, and need to be restrained.
Or re-trained.

Alan

On 11/11/2014 8:55 p.m., Mark Dignam wrote:

> Real World CEO Answer: Cut both – Engineers are only a drain on the
> spreadsheet, and customer facing staff just need to knuckle down and
> work harder. And less wages means happy shareholders and more options
> for the board.
>
> the sad fact is – its often a true answer L
>
> dig.

---