[AusNOG] TPG NOC CONTACT

Joseph Goldman joe at apcs.com.au
Tue Nov 11 18:45:59 EST 2014

There is another side to the argument - in terms of support for Level 1
/ cheap labor (not necessarily outsourced, just not paying for someone
with higher technical skill).

  Would you rather:

   1) Your customers wait on hold for up to 30 minutes
   2) Your customers reach a voicemail system (say after x minutes of hold)
   3) Your customers get a CSR, even if Level 1

  From a company perspective side - I would rather #3 where they can at
least check the account is not suspended, make sure customer has done
the real level 1 stuff, and if it is truly out of scope log a call for
Level 2 (if none available immediately). I feel the customer would also
be happier with this option even if waiting for a call back, because
they know a human has made some action on their request and it is not
sitting in a faceless queue.

  In the company I currently work for, we are lucky enough that support
requirements are quite low for the size of our customer base and those
of us who answer the phones also happen to implement the network and
servers end-to-end, so we will definitely be able to help anyone that
calls beyond an upstream fault (Telstra fault etc), in which we should
be able to identify pretty quick.

  Unfortunately I'm stuck on the edge between #3 and #2 - as at our
current level of load, Implementing #3 would have someone sitting there
twiddling their thumbs much of the day and would be an unnecessary cost,
so until we grow and the actual support requirements become larger, I'll
likely be stuck to implementing #2 for those rare times that everyone is
unavailable for some reason.