[AusNOG] Hosted SBC on Megaport

Bevan Slattery bevan at slattery.net.au
Tue Nov 11 17:17:08 EST 2014

I¹ll move past the name calling :)

To directly answer your question I¹ll provide three (3) examples of other
providers offering customers the ability to direct connect networks as an
alternative to peering or transit.

Amazon quote 6 main reasons for Direct Connect
http://aws.amazon.com/directconnect/

- Reduces your bandwidth costs
- Consistent Network Performance
- Compatible with all your Amazon VPC
- Private Connectivty to your Amazon VPC
- Elastic
- Simple

Microsoft provides 6 main reasons for Azure ExpressRoute:
http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/expressroute/

- Private Connections to Azure
- Increased Reliability and Speed
- Lower Latencies
- Higher Security
- Significant Costs Benefits
- Directly Connect from your WAN

Google Cloud/Compute States about their GCI product
https://cloud.google.com/interconnect

"Connecting with GCI will enable your infrastructure to connect to Google
Cloud with higher availability and lower latency connections."

The Megaport VXC info is available here
http://www.megaport.com/services/megaport-vxcs.html

You can light up a VXC (think VLAN) from as little as 100Mbps to
10,000Mbps between ports for $20 per day or $200/month regardless of
speed.  So you want to spin up a 5,000Mbps connection to someone to backup
200TB of data - $20/day.  You have greater protection of being DDoS¹d,
interception, greater stability in latency and have guaranteed capacity.

But where it gets sexy and where the other guys are already taking it is
that they have integrated our API into their systems, so that if someone
wants to buy a service from AWS they automagically provision the silicon
at AWS and the circuit for that customer without touching a single thing.
Some hosting providers are already taking it the other way.  Transit
providers will be doing the same very soon.

If you want to actually take time to read about what we are doing, I think
you could be pleasantly surprised.

Cheers

[b]