[AusNOG] FW: [Ap-ipv6tf] official shutdown date for IPv4. The date he is pushing for is April 4, 2024. "IPv4 can't go on forever, " Latour said. "

Matt Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Thu Nov 6 09:58:57 EST 2014

On Wed, Nov 05, 2014 at 03:22:45PM +0800, ComKal Networks wrote:
> > I like NAT.  It solves a lot more problems that
> > it causes (for me) and it offers a level of flexibility
> > and portability that is a whole lot harder and more
> > complicated (IMO) to solve using IPv6.  Here goes:
> > I reckon IPv6 should also support NAT! :-)
>
> Must be age, I agree with Mike :)
>
> I dont need NAT personally but it scares me seeing all those
> consumer boxes and devices with no protection.

Where are you seeing all those consumer boxes and devices with no
protection on IPv6, that are meaningfully protected and secure over IPv4?

> Simply telling people to use a firewall isnt going to work.

Good thing nobody's telling anyone to use an IPv6 firewall, while leaving
their IPv4 networks without one.

- Matt

--
Ruby's the only language I've ever used that feels like it was designed by a
programmer, and not by a hardware engineer (Java, C, C++), an academic