[AusNOG] Metadata retention... it's now (almost) a thing

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Mon Nov 3 08:28:58 EST 2014

> only reason I could see them needing the raw logs is if it is required for
> evidence in prosecution (have had AFP agents fly in to pick up some form of
> evidence before from a colleague in a previous job).

Fly, or drive - for what seems stupidly long times (two officers drove
Sydney to Albury to collect some evidence from me). I believe it has a lot
to do with the preservation of evience integrity. They had to observe it
being extracted, copy and certify, then keep it in their posession
(presumably only until it got back to the office and into evidence locker
or something).

I still don't see how they (think) they can guarantee any logs extracted
from a system haven't been "fiddled with" before they get there. It would
be a trivial task and I should think it would be either undetectable or
impossible to prove it was either valid OR tainted.