[AusNOG] Improving rack density with different cable management

Paul Gear ausnog at libertysys.com.au
Fri May 30 10:24:02 EST 2014

Hi all,

As usual, this was a case of "ask a vaguely coherent question on AusNOG,
get a dozen great answers".  Thanks to everyone who responded, both on-
and off-list.

To summarise the results, in order of popularity:

 1. Panduit vertical cable management, e.g.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/wkadtc8us5sxdql/20140527_155329.jpg
 2. No cable management at all - use the shortest possible cables, and
    intersperse patching and switching, a-la http://i.imgur.com/IiUiaDx.jpg
 3. APC equivalent of the Panduit system

I'm quite a fan of the simplicity of option #2, but I'm not convinced it
will work in this application, so I'd like to explore options #1 & #3.
Do any suppliers keep examples of this sort of thing in stock, or can
anyone recommend reference sites in the Brisbane area who have current
Panduit & APC rack models installed and would be willing to give us a
short tour?

Thanks,
Paul